Pages

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Best Brownies Ever CORRECTION!!

I HATE it when I get a recipe off a blog and it turns out terrible. Not just a little bad but an absolute disaster and you just know there is no way that blogger has even attempted to make the recipe.

So my sincerest apologies for doing that to you. It was an honest mistake.
 
After I made the brownies of my last post two times. Then I wrote the blog post. I waited two weeks to see if my children reacted. No one did, so I made the brownies again.
 
They turned out terrible! They were really gooey and obviously didn't have enough flour in them.
 
I blamed the bad brownies on Ben (sorry Ben). He had measured out the dry ingredients and I assumed he hadn't measured something incorrectly. I made a second batch and measured everything myself. They turned out exactly the same terrible way, exonerating Ben.
 
Now when I get a recipe off the internet I print it up on an 8x11 paper. Then I proceed with hand writing in all the changes I am going to make. I always cross of the salt. Salt is for the most part not needed in any recipe, it is just their for taste. Next I substitute the flours. A quarter of the flour needs to be a starch. Then the remaining flour I substitute twice as much rice flour. I always start with this mixture and then if I want the recipe moister I will use more oat flour and less rice flour. But this also makes the item more dense and heavy.
 
So if this recipe I did 1/2 cup arrow root starch, 1 cup rice and 1/2 cut oat. Now when I was converting I started to do 1 cup oat and 1/2 cup rice because I like dense moist brownies. However, I scratched out the measurements and changed them to my standard substitution.
 
When I remade the batch of brownies after the batch Ben measured I almost put in 1 1/2 cup oat flour because the "1" wasn't scratched out very well. So long story I must have put in 1 1/2 cup oat flour in the first batch I made.

I made a batch and use 1/2 cup arrow root starch, 1 cup rice and 1 1/2 cup oat flour and they turned out really good (like the first two batches.)
 
So one would think that this is the end just always use 1/2 cup arrow root starch, 1 cup rice and 1 1/2 cup oat flour. But then I made another batch of brownies and they were terrible. So now I really have no idea what is going on.
Currently the good and bad brownie batches stand at 2 good batches, 2 bad batches, 1 good batch, 1 bad batch.
 
Okay maybe I have some idea. The last batch of brownies I used 1/2 cup tapioca starch because I was out of arrow root starch and I had a different type of olive oil than I normally buy. So I am hoping it is one of those two things.
 
I have to go shopping for arrow root starch and olive oil. I will try yet again and let you know.

In the mean time I would NOT recommend trying the brownie recipe I posted.  Sorry for anyone's wasted time and ingredients. I know the ingredients are not cheep.
 
Also, stay tuned for muffin recipes. I have a good banana muffin recipe an I am working on zucchini muffins and carrot muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment