Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

First Post


Wow, first post on a blog.  How does one get started with these things?  I feel like I need to explain why I want a blog.  Does that make sense?  Why does a person blog?  Are we just narcissistic individuals that want to talk about ourselves? 

For me the need to blog comes from the major life changes that my family is going through.  We…I have changed our eating habits drastically in the last year.  It started out as an experiment to see if a gluten and dairy free diet would stop bed wetting and then progressed into the solution to a wide range of health problems that my sons and I have been having for years.

The last year has been a long and winding journey with many highs and lows.  I have discovered a lot about everyone in my family.  What food makes them sick and what food sends their emotions out of control.

What I didn’t expect is in the process was that I would learn a lot about me as well.  For years the negative voice in my head (that won most of the time) said I was fat, lazy and had no self control.  Now I know better.  Gluten, dairy, and soy makes me extremely fatigued.  I have fought against that fatigue for as long as I can remember…early teens.  I am not lazy.  I was sick. 

I learned that I do have self control.  However, I have extreme food addictions to gluten and dairy.  Once I start eating gluten and dairy it takes a monumental effort to stop.

Now, I can lose weight.  No, it isn’t easy.  I have lots of bad eating habits.  That has gotten progressively worse over time with added weight and negative self image.  But I can finally see the promise of light at the end of the tunnel.

But the thing that gets me is…….How did I get to be an unhealthy 44 year old woman with 2 sons that were unhealthy and no one ever say to me…..Have you considered that you might have food sensitivities?

Nope, not one single person said this to me.  A doctor finally did mention it to me at a son’s doctor’s visit when we were discussing bed wetting.  This was about a year before we went gluten free.  I dismissed him at the time. But it planted a seed that grew and finally bloomed into a realization for me.  Without his mention, just casually, I would have never made the connection.  If fact I completely forgot about his suggestion until late one night when I was trolling the internet for information and a blog about gluten sensitivity and bed wetting came up.

I want my blog to plant seeds.  I want to plant seeds in other people that might not be feeling well.  Or that may have behavioral problems with their children.  Or that may have children that just seem to be sick all the time. 

Here is to the long and winding road that I am on.  May my journey continue to be long and hold new discoveries around every bend.  I will take these new discoveries and make the best of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment